Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Divorce Cash Cow ...

Did you know that divorce is a $50 Billion dollar a year industry in North America (and yes that really says billion)... $50 BILLION!! That's huge! Did you also know that lawyers account for $35 billion in the industry, and that the remaining goes to courts, therapists, mediators, arbitrators, etc.

Litigation on the low end is $35,000 (per person) with a lawyer ... did you know that this number represents a down payment on a house! A HOUSE! Now I don't know about you but I think I will be enjoying the house a lot longer than the company of my lawyer (although at the current rate of processing within the legal system I could be completely wrong here).

Now I must ask ... if the only issues to be decided in a routine divorce are: property (if there is any), child custody/support (if there are any), division of assets (if there are any), and the actual divorce (if you are legally married by ceremony)... Why is divorce 76% more expensive than getting married? And why does it take so long to finalize ... well I think the answer lies in the $50 billion dollar question!

The answer ... you need to be focused in your approach, or your lawyer will happily enjoy your "unfocused" approach and with their new summer home/car/boat/vacation that they will be getting with your dollars.

A great place to start finding focus in the chaos is with LifeAction ... check them out on their blog (its pretty fresh but I hear good things are available and coming soon!)... so I say milk that cash cow in your favour!

C.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with these comments %1,000. I am in the UK and it virtually the same here.
    The whole system is set up to wring as much money out of the process as possible, this for an event which is already one of lifes most shattering, sad and deepy depressing events. In many cases worse than death, which hopefully is quick and definitely terminal. The medical costs alone, treating depression and reduced health, must be considerable.
    Far too little effort is put, or even available, into helping couples to reconciliation.

    ReplyDelete